Spring has sprung, the grass has riz

This may just look like a sad little picture of three lonely flowers to you, but to me - this is a truly exciting glimpse of many more colors, coming soon! 

As we are all experiencing a new strange way of life these days, my once filled calendar is rapidly emptying, leaving me with opportunities to be creative in filling my time.   Just as I was beginning to question my sanity for joining not one, but two, NDG neighborhood on-line groups, I was delighted to see someone post about a flower sighting.  Oddly enough, I had just recently been asking long-time Montreal friends when to expect the first flowers to show up.  Most responded, in a somewhat resigned tone, probably late April or even May.  So imagine my surprise when I read this.  Having had my favorite Zumba class canceled and nothing else scheduled to do today - I made going in search of said flower an actual "outing"!  It was close to a perfect day as the sun is peeking out and the temperature is above freezing.... downright Spring-like (ignoring those huge chunks of hard-packed ice that still abound in many yards)!  I am happy to report, that, in my unprofessional opinion.... my mission was successful and that Spring has sprung! 

 Back to the subject of my empty calendar.... it really feels odd to have programming at Temple suspended, the YMCA temporarily closed, line dancing classes canceled, museums shut down, sporting events suspended, etc....  I guess it's good timing that I took up knitting back in February.  This gives me ample time to work on my scarf.  Maybe I will even finish it before next winter! 

We were lucky to have time with my nephew and sister-in-law a few weeks ago.  It was our first time to entertain visitors in the winter.  Surprisingly enough, we managed to find plenty of things to do to fill the days, even though there was some rain and one evening of super cold temps. The weather actually cooperated enough to get to the chalet on  Mount Royal one afternoon.

One of the new things we did, that I really enjoyed, was a visit to the Montreal Museum of Archaeology and History.  I just love seeing archaeological remains from every period of the city's past. 
Visitors can now actually walk through a portion of the sewer system that is considered a majestic feat of civil engineering, having been built between 1832 and 1838.  The system channeled the Little River underground and collected rainwater and wastewater up until 1989. 

Another highlight of this museum trip was the alpaca petting area outside.  I tried my best to pet one of the little buggers but they were pretty content to just munch on their own.  But they sure were a lot fun to look at! 

We attempted to go to the Observatoire at Place Ville Marie but since it was closed, we opted for dinner at the restaurant, les Enfants Terribles, on the 44th floor, with its own fantastic, but partial,  view of the city. 



I wish everyone peaceful times and good health as we tackle these somewhat challenging days ahead.  Take these moments to slow down, sit back and relax, catch up on some correspondence or reach out to say hello to a friend!   Thanks for stopping by my blog!  Happy Spring to all! 

Comments