375 Days... but who's counting?


March 29th was the one year anniversary of when David and I actually arrived in Montreal.  We moved into our apartment at The M with a few basic items, including the two cats. The truck with our furniture arrived a week later. WOW!  What a year!  So much has happened. So many "firsts", so many new adventures, new friendships, and a new way of living.

I won't rehash all the new things I've done but I do want to touch on a few changes I've made in my day-to-day life.  I was genuinely moved by the sensitive way that my garden facilitator, Nancy, approached so many facets of life and gardening.  She introduced me to the  "zero waste" challenge in a way that made sense.  I probably won't ever be "that person" that makes my own homemade soaps or can fit all my garbage into a mason jar, but I have adopted some new habits that I feel make a small, but noticeable difference.

The first change I've made is to almost completely eliminate the use of baggies.  I store cheese, vegetables and leftovers in re-usable plastic containers instead. I even bring home restaurant left-overs in my own plastic containers.  I admit I was a little self-conscious the first time I pulled out my Tupperware and asked a waiter to use it instead of their to-go container. To my delight, he was incredibly supportive about my efforts to reduce unnecessary waste.

So, it's a far cry from zero waste, but it's my little part - and every bit helps.  I have also discovered an amazing store here called the Bulk Barn.  They sell hundreds of items in bulk - everything from nuts, to candy to sugar to dried fruit to honey.  They allow you to bring your own glass containers to purchase their items. They weigh your container before you fill it up and then re-weigh when you check out.  How cool is that?

Another incredibly BIG change I have made involves my everyday eating habits.  You will likely be quite surprised to know that I have stopped eating chocolate. Yes - you read that correctly.  I haven't given up sugar completely, but I have (for the time being) eliminated eating chocolate and store-bought cookies, candies, and desserts.  If I'm going to have sweets, they should definitely be homemade. It hasn't really even been that difficult.  I guess I've eaten enough chocolate in the past 50 years to last a lifetime.

For the first six months we were here, I think I drove my car about 5 times.  I now drive, maybe, once a week.  I am still loving that I can get just about anywhere I want to go by using public transportation.  Not to mention that gasoline is pretty pricey here.  Please don't ask me how much it is.  That involves a math problem to convert litres to gallons and then CAD dollars to US Dollars.  :)   If you really want to know - check with Dave - he loves that kind of stuff.

The snow is melting quickly and Spring is on its way.  I have truly enjoyed doing so many new winter sports and experiencing what life is like where snow is routine and not a state holiday.  But I admit, I am ready to watch the flowers start growing and shed the heavy coat and gloves.  I've enjoyed seeing all the Texas bluebonnet pictures people have been posting.

In all honesty... there were some really hard days early on. I miss my family and friends.  It's a challenge (especially for someone who doesn't really like change) to constantly have everything be new and different, to be the one to reach out to others first, to regularly have to get outside my comfort zone, to try to decipher the signs in French.  But now I am truly amazed at how many genuine friendships I have formed, how easily some things have become routine, and how comfortable I can feel in this city of 1.75 million people.  Surprisingly enough, the neighborhood we are in lends itself to running into people we know... walking down the street, sitting at a restaurant, shopping at the corner grocery store, or working out at the YMCA.  I've even seen people I know while riding on the metro.

I will always miss some things about Texas, but I am so grateful for expanding my horizons and for all the experiences I've had so far.  I never thought I would leave Austin, or the United States, but now I have roots in two cities, spanning two countries.  This world is a huge place - with so much to offer!  People here in Montreal have been so incredibly wonderful, not to mention the culture! And the food! And the entertainment!  Canada does some things very differently than the US, but some things are also very similar.  They even listen to a lot of the same music as we did in the States.. and they even have bowling alleys here too.  Then they have weird stuff like poutine and toonies. But - oh my - what an adventure this is! 

We would love to show you around, so just let us know if you ever want to come visit!











Comments

  1. love reading your blog...it wakes me up to how truly wonderful this city is and how lucky I am to be living here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoy reading it. And thanks for being a part of what makes Montreal so great!

      Delete

Post a Comment