Do I dare say...

that Spring is on it's way? Last night I wore my "lighter" winter coat for the first time in months. However, it was snowing again this morning, so there is that! I have to admit I am quite proud to say that we have (so far) survived our first Canadian winter. Everyone was right - you just have to stay busy and keep a good attitude.


Dave and I went back to Mount Royal and tried snow shoeing recently.  It was a lot easier than cross country skiing and so beautiful! So close and easy to get to.


We are almost finished with our part-time French class - only one more week.  I'm at the point where I can ask a question but understanding the answer is a bit more challenging.  I still try to translate one word at a time. I just haven't learned to think in French. But at least I can read a lot better now.

Speaking of reading...as some of you may already know - marijuana is now legal in Canada. A new education campaign is in full force.  Here is one of many pictures that is displayed in the metro.  It reads:  It is impossible for cannabis to do this, but before age 25, it can harm your brain.  Certainly an eye-catching ad., eh?  All of the different posters have some bizarre picture with a word of caution.

Last month we treated ourselves with tickets to a Canadiens hockey game and lucked out by getting to see a "hat trick" (3 goals by one player) in person.  Apparently this is a big deal because all the fans were very excited.




March 2nd was a big city-wide party called Nuit Blanche (White Night). It is an all night party with activities all over town that are free.  It's a great way to get people out and about in an attempt to have fun and forget about how cold it is. We went with our friends Harry and Sophia to the famous St. Hubert (for the first time) and had a yummy chicken dinner.


Then we attended a short operatic concert at the St. James Church downtown.  The streets were packed with people, food vendors, ferris wheels and lights.  There was even a zip line set up in the middle of the street (which I passed on). From there, we went to a Broadway/popular musical sing-along.  We saw two of my mahj jong friends, Marcy and Donna and sat with them and had a blast singing along.  We didn't stay out ALL night, but were definitely up later than usual.





Another random fun thing.... My friend Lily and I went
to a free demo on how to make sushi. It was walking distance
down the street from my apartment.  Free wine and sushi... what's
not to like?   We even got to make our own sushi rolls (that's mine
in the photo).  The guys providing the instructions were named
Viet and Nam - I'm not sure that was for real, though! 




Today David and I stopped in to a local iconic restaurant in town called Falafel St. Jacques (it is located on St. Jacques Street).  It is "the" place to go for authentic falafel and hummus. It is run by an Israeli man who moved to Montreal 30 years ago. He hired a Palestinian man to manage the place.  Their goal is to create a space where every person, regardless of their nationality, can gather and eat.  How cool is that?  It is a small cozy place with lots of homemade desserts for sale as well.


In the summer, there is outdoor seating but today we sat inside.  David even ran into a friend of his who joined us for lunch.  That is one of the amazing things about this city - we are constantly running into people we know!

Happy St. Patty's Day to all who celebrate!  We may go check out the parade downtown. 
hugs,
Stephanie






Comments