A whole new meaning to the word "Winter"




Winter opens up a whole new world of sports in a place that regularly has snow.  As I mentioned in my last post, Dave and I have done some  ice skating at the local neighborhood rink.  Recently, we met up with a friend from my collective garden and we went up to Mount Royal (right here in the center of the city). I tried cross country skiing for the very first time. It was a lot harder than I expected (even on the beginner trail) so I think I should take a lesson or two before I go again.  In spite of going to the gym 4-5 times a week, I still had a hard time getting up after falling down.  Now I remember one of the main reasons I gave up downhill skiing. A big advantage of being retired is that we can go do these things during the week and miss some of the crowds!  I also want to go back and just snow shoe, at a more leisurely pace and enjoy the beauty of the snow on the mountain. It is a wonderful slice of nature, right in the heart of the bustling city. 


One question I get asked a LOT is, "How are you handling the winter in Montreal"?  Fortunately - so far it has gone pretty well - it's hard to believe it is already mid-February. Of course, having the right shoes and coats is essential.  Having the right attitude is also critical. I am amazed that the extreme weather rarely keeps folks cooped up inside.  I truly expected 4-5 days in a row of never ending snow and being stuck inside, unable to go out.  In fact, there have been only 2 days (not even consecutive)  that I stayed inside all day. I had several "winter projects" planned to get me through those weeks but only one of those projects has even been started - and I am not making much progress. This picture was taken the day after a big snow fall.  Not a sight I have EVER seen in Austin.  Dave and I mostly take the bus and the metro wherever we go, so we haven't had the joy of digging a car out of the snow yet.  


Last weekend Dave and I went to a neighborhood "honky tonk" bar, called The Wheel Club.  For you Austinites... picture the "Broken Spoke", only with a smaller dance floor.   Several nights a week they have Open Mic night, so I convinced David to go.  We met some friends there and Dave got a chance to play a couple of songs. We also did some polka and Texas two-stepping!  I didn't realize how much I missed dancing (there was a lot of rock 'n roll happening, too).  It was a blast!  Who knew Montrealers can "do country music" as well as Texans?  


There is so much going on here that it is hard to be bored.  This past week we went to a great venue, called Place des Arts, to see the Carole King musical "Beautiful".  It was a delightful show and so much fun to be able to sing along (in my head, of course) to so many of the songs.  She is an extraordinary talent.  I had not realized that she was responsible for some of The Monkee's songs, including one of my favorites, Pleasant Valley Sunday.  

Well, I have to go get ready for my favorite Zumba class at the YMCA.  Then who knows what the rest of the day has in store!  It may be cold outside, but the sun is shining and looks very inviting!  Hope everyone who is reading this is doing well.  Drop me a line sometime - I'd love to stay in touch! 

Comments