Never say Never

Hello everyone!  I hope this post finds everyone healthy and happy and enjoying the new year! 

I recently came back ito posession of a letter that I wrote, in 1984,  to my dear friend Julie. I had to laugh because, in the letter, I claimed I could "never" move to a place where it was cold.  So, as I write this blog post, today is the coldest I have experienced since moving to Canada. My phone shows -17 degrees Celsius, which converts to a mere 1 degree for you Farenheit users.  For a real shocker - the "feels like" temperature is -29 degrees (Celsius). 

Not only have I moved to a cold climate, I am now in another country altogether. Converting temperatures and measurements and currency are just part of the new things I am adjusting to.  
Hence, the name of this post.... be careful what you declare as an absolute.  Someday you may change your mind! 

One of the things that makes living in the cold doable is having the right clothes. I have a whole new wardrobe of boots, scarves, gloves -  and even some leg warmers! 

David and I went ice skating a few weeks ago and had a great time.  I was surprised I was able to stay up and skate without holding onto the rails.  We went and bought some used skates and we are taking advantage of an outdoor rink that is only minutes from our house.  This is a rink that was built by the Montréal Canadiens' (hockey team) Children's Foundation.  It is a refrigerated rink that won't thaw with the temperature fluctuations (it does actually get above freezing some days). This rink even has a real Zamboni!  


We had a bit of a scare when David went skating by himself and fell backwards and hit his head really hard. He called me and I ended up getting him to the hospital.  Turns out he had a mild concussion.  We are really lucky it wasn't any worse.  He has already bought a helmet! 

We really enjoyed all the holidays last month. We went to a 
community-wide menorah-lighting event one night and we  
had friends over for Chanukah dinner another night. Even Purrcy got to play the dreidel game. 

Purrcy and Zooka have adapted to indoor living fairly well.  Occasionally, Purrcy will dart out the front door but he gets bored very quickly because there is nothing exciting in the hallway.  Fortunately, he has not made it far enough down the hall to get to the elevator! 

On my birthday night, we went to the Planetarium. Then we lucked into a randomly chosen, wonderful Italian dinner at Amelias.  David obliged my request to go to the Ugly Tickle Tree.  It is just a tree, decorated...but... when you "tickle" this tree - it actually laughs.  And it even cackles a bit, and then it lets out a huge sigh when you finally give it a break and stop.  It was a lot of fun. 




There were lots of holiday lights along Monkland, the street we live on. Here is one particular pretty candy store that was all lit up!   It is still fun just to wander this street and take in all the scenery, especially as it changes from season to season.  The local bagel shop even had a tree decorated with bagels, of course




Dave and I have been to a couple of movies recently (good indoor activities). One of them was located in a remodeled building called The Forum, that used to be where the Montréal Canadiens played hockey.  It now houses something like 20 movie screens, a comedy club, and some other shops as well as hockey memorabelia and lots of historical photos from when the bulding was first built. 


I started a beginner part time French class a couple of weeks ago. Dave goes at the same time but he is several levels ahead of me.
Class meets 4 days a week for 3 hours each day.  I can now say 
bonne journée, à demain and even count to 100!  Out of 16 students, I am the only American.  I've met some very nice people, all ages, from Syria, Nepal, China, India, Mexico and Jamaica, just to name a few places. 

Thanks for stopping by to check out my blog. Feel free to drop a line and say hello!   

Comments

  1. Always enjoy reading your blog... always learn something new about my lifelong city.... this time it was about the bagel decorations.... had no idea..lol !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment