Summertime = Festival Time

I have not been very good about keeping this blog updated the past several weeks.  We got back from our whirlwind busy trip to Banff and somehow I manage to fill my days.  Being retired is great for being able to do things at my own pace!  Interestingly enough, I end up waking up close to the same time as when I was working but because I'm not slave to the alarm clock - it feels very different.  


We had a "heat wave"a couple of weeks ago.  Now I know I will get NO sympathy from any Texans out there, but it was actually kind of surprising that some Canada Day events were postponed because of the heat.  It did get into the lower 90's, but that is not anywhere close to the temps I've seen lately. 
Dave and I went down to the Old Port for a big Canada Day celebration.  We watched a group of people being sworn in as citizens.  Someday... that will be us.   There were all kinds of activities going on, lots of booths and games for kids and adults.  We wandered around for several hours before deciding to have lunch. 
We ate lunch at an iconic spot that I've been wanting to try out because a lot of folks have recommended it.  It is called Jardin (Garden) Nelson.  It has a wonderful ambiance - tons of plants, open air seating, light jazz music during brunch with delicious crepes of all kinds.  Their crepes are right on par with Steve Robinson's famous post-Thanksgiving turkey crepes!  I won't post a picture of this location because I could not capture the beauty and lush greenery. So you will just have to come visit and see it for yourself!    



Have I mentioned that Montrealers spend as much time as possible outdoors during the summer?  (I suspect it has something to do with the winters here... just speculating though - hehe).  Every weekend there is at least one festival or street fair.  There are so many choices - and most of them include free options as well.  There was a two week long International Jazz Festival earlier this month.  Every day included outdoor venues with free entertainment.  Everything from blues, old-style New Orleans jazz, to reggae infused jazz to new, funky jazz.   
There were some big name talent shows as well but we stuck to all the outdoor options.  It was fun to walk between the different stages, along the streets of downtown and take in all the people.  Intermixed with the Jazz Festival was a street circus festival where performers set up at random times throughout the week and did all kinds of acrobatic entertainment.  



And then, of course there is the International fireworks festival that happens twice a week from July into early August.  Dave and I have been "on the hunt" to find the perfect spot to watch the fireworks. You can buy tickets for the best place but there are also many other spots you can get to for free.  We watched from the Jacques Cartier bridge last weekend (even the bridge has it's own light show!) and had the best view so far.  These productions are synchronized to music as part of the competition so we have yet to find the perfect location that gives the best view AND includes the music.  There are still more displays to see so I am confident we will have this all figured out soon! 

Walking back to the metro after fireworks one night, we tried to capture the view of downtown.  The lights and the colors were amazing, although the phone camera was not the best to portray what we saw in person.  



Stay tuned for more updates about life in Montreal.... coming soon!  

Comments