Winter is the new Fall

Here is my October (and maybe a bit of November) update from Montreal!

It has gotten a bit chilly up here (hence the title of this post). I am determined not to break out my Candian winter coat until the temperature gets below freezing.  It's been hovering dangerously close but I am toughing it out in my Texas winter coat for now.  It's all about layering!


I totally get it now why the collective garden season ends in October.  I found a great green tomato bread recipe to utilize all those not quite ripe yet green tomatoes in the picture.  Before you say "ewe" - just think zucchini bread or pumpkin bread. Seriously - if you add enough sugar and oil and cinnamon to anything - it can be quite tasty! My bread loaf pans did not survive the move so I actually made this bread in muffin sized cupcakes  which worked out just fine.

I made kale chips from the kale and I still have some of the garlic left to use up.  I am already missing getting to dig around in the dirt so you can bet I will sign up again next year.  Winter goal is to keep a few indoor plants alive.

Cooking seems to be a big "thing" in my life these days.  I am still volunteering at the neighborhood Food Depot but it only meets every other week during the winter, instead of weekly.  So I signed up to help out with the Teen Zone cooking program at the YMCA, which is right next door to my apartment building.  It meets once a week and we cook a meal with the teens who drop in after school.  As an added benefit - I get a free membership so I have been trying out a lot of different zumba, yoga, stretching, dancing and fitness classes.  The exercise helps offset the extra cooking and eating I've been doing.


Thanksgiving snuck up on me this year, since Canadians celebrate in October instead of November.  I couldn't get my family up to Montreal in time but I did make some of my favorite dishes (miniature pecan pies, sweet potatoes, jalepeno cranberry relish to name a few). Instead of cooking a big turkey, I bought pre-cooked duck a l'orange, which not only sounded very French-like, but looked very impressive!  We had our first dinner party, with a few new friends and enjoyed a great meal. We have a lot to be thankful for.

Speaking of Texas, in mid-October I got my first chance to go back.  I had a way too short visit but managed to see family and as many friends as I could squeeze in. When I went by my old office, I couldn't believe that they still had my name tag hanging up outside one of the cubes! Gone, but not forgotten!

The fall colors of the leaves has been amazing.  Have I mentioned that we have a spectacular view from the 12th floor?   This is one of my favorite shots, taken with my super duper fancy phone camera.

This was taken a couple of weeks ago and now about half of the trees have shed their leaves.  Winter is on its way!




Here is an interesting picture!  Can anyone guess what this is?  Ok, I'll tell you.  This is my first ever homemade batch of something I've never tried before called fire cider.  Fire cider is a magical tonic revered by herbalists for its ability to support the immune system and help fight off cold and flu symptoms.  It is a crazy mixture of ginger root, horseradish root, garlic, jalapeno peppers, lemon juice, onions and apple cider vinegar.  I have no idea what this actually tastes like, or if any of the claims are true, but I decided to create a batch since I had a lot of the ingredients that came from the garden (even the horseradish root - how cool is that?)!  It takes a month for it to mature so I've been shaking it daily since October 21st.  Next month I'll report back on how it tastes and if it seems to truly have any medicinal value!

Oh, the things you can try when you retire!  I have to admit, I am truly enjoying a much more relaxed life style where I can do things I've never done before! Between volunteering, book club, working out, trying new recipes, and exploring all that Montreal has to offer - I have not gotten bored yet!
I'm off to the gym and then headed to go see a free movie at the library this afternoon with a friend.

I hope all is well with all of you.  Stay warm and happy and connected!






Comments